Digital marketing has become the predominant gateway for businesses, both large and small, to showcase their products and services globally and locally. There is no niche left untouched – consumers, professionals, governments, and even voters are subjected to different forms of digital marketing the second they are online. And it makes a lot of sense in building a career in digital marketing.
While the entire economy is languishing worldwide because of the Coronavirus, titans like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Apple seem to be immune. The reason? They have registered growth rates upwards of 30% driven primarily by huge spending on ecommerce and digital advertising. Consumers impressed by digital marketing and confined to their homes have been quick to reach for their wallet. The net-net? If you are thinking of picking a job in digital marketing, this is definitely the best time!
The web is awash with digital marketing jobs – digital talent has never been more in demand! In simple terms, digital marketing encompasses advertising or marketing through any digital channel like social media, the web, mobile apps, search, or emails.
The Digital Marketing Ecosystem
Let us first look at the core elements of digital marketing, any one of which can be chosen for your career in digital marketing. It is best to have an overall understanding of the digital marketing ecosystem while specializing in a couple of the following areas.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): The process of increasing the quantity and quality of visitors to your website organically is known as SEO. It is primarily organic, meaning you don’t pay any money, and is based on improving several metrics that are used to rank your website.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): It is the process of increasing the visibility of your website using paid advertising. The most popular form of paid advertising continues to be Google AdWords. It is also called pay-per-click or PPC marketing.
- Content/Copy Writing: Creating content to generate awareness and influence buyers without explicitly promoting your brand is called content marketing. Content can include articles, videos, blogs, whitepapers, and reviews.
- Social Media Marketing (SEM): SEM uses the power of social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or Instagram to connect with the target audience. It helps build your brand image, increase sales, create positive opinions and drive website traffic.
- Email Marketing: Probably the oldest form of digital marketing, it is the process of sending emails to prospects and customers. Email marketing has evolved over the years to become one of the most efficient direct marketing strategies.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing is the process of earning commissions based on promoting another company’s products or services via affiliate links on your website. It is also called referral marketing.
- Graphic Design: Digital marketing can never be successful without beautiful visuals which draw eyeballs. Graphic designers communicate ideas, brands, or messaging in an easy-to-spot visual manner and optimize the users’ experience.
There are several websites which can help you familiarize yourself with digital marketing. Some of the most well-known ones are:
- Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Journal
- Neil Patel
- Content Marketing Institute
These sites provide blogs, videos, and other resources to keep you updated on the latest trends and developments happening in digital marketing.
Certifications & Courses
While there are very few professional courses for digital marketing, there are various free online courses offered by Google, Microsoft and Facebook that you can take and upgrade your skills. Some of the most popular online platform that provide online courses in digital marketing are:
- HubSpot Academy
- Moz Academy
Once you are knowledgeable in digital marketing, you need to upgrade your resume. To get even more proficient, start your blog, writing about various topics under the digital marketing umbrella. Not only will this help you gain confidence, but it will also serve as your personal digital marketing job agent. By proving your expertise, sharing your knowledge, and networking, you will pave the way to your dream job in digital marketing.
You may also like: