Teaching is among the few professions that has the power to influence an entire generation. No wonder, it’s called a noble profession.
Getting into this profession requires a candidate to answer teacher interview questions. However, answering is not enough. A candidate must have the depth required to be an influencer. He/she should also be able to display the same, so that the interviewer is confident of hiring the right person for a teaching job.
With the changing times and coming of technology in education (EdTech) the responsibility and expertise required for teaching profession has also gone a sea change. Unlike in the past, a teacher today is required to have knowledge or awareness of various audio-visual teaching aids.
Keeping in mind the future of students, most schools in India follow a particular format to hire a good teacher. The process may vary from school to school but the essence remains the same – to hire the best teacher.
You may also read:
Like any other interview, a teaching interview also requires you to prepare for common teaching interview questions. But there may be one on several written assessments that you may have to complete before you face any teacher interview questions. And quite a few questions asked in a teaching interview are behavioural questions. So, you may have to keep that in mind while preparing for your teacher interview.
Here are 11 important teacher interview questions that you may be asked:
- What motivates you to be a teacher?
- What is your idea behind this profession or your philosophy that drives you every day to work?
- What method will you take to handle a difficult student?
- How will you encourage and motivate students of your class?
- Do you like to keep parents in loop about a student’s progress?
- How will you build relationships with parents?
- What is a lesson plan and how do you prepare one?
- How do you handle classroom discipline?
- How would you deal with an angry parent?
- What actions will you take to manage underperforming students?
- How can you make learning more fun for your students?
Subject Related Written Assessment
Written assignment is the first round one has to face before interview. This assessment is to judge a candidate’s knowledge related to the subject. In addition, it is used to determine how well a candidate can perform a certain set of skills related to a particular subject or group of subjects for which they have applied. This form of assessment is a mass eliminator and those who are able to clear this round are able to proceed to the HR Interview.
This round is to understand the psyche of a candidate and also to understand their backgrounds. Besides the common teacher interview questions listed above, in this round you may be asked the following questions as well:
- Tell me about a time when you solved a student’s problem with other teachers.
- What’s the one major thing you have learned in your last job that will help you here?
- Tell me about your strengths in difficult times at work.
- Tell me about a time when someone gave you feedback and how you felt and handled it.
- Where are you from?
- Walk me through any lesson of your choice as storytelling.
- Any questions for me?
The interview questions in this round are to judge a candidate’s aptitude to teach in the classroom.
Subject Related Panel Interview
This interview is related to the subject that a candidate is supposed to teach in school. This panel interview consists of people who have mastery in subject along with school principal and director. This round is to judge a candidate’s knowledge of the subject. The major questions are related to a theorem or a concept in the book. A few questions also demand practical mindset to answer. This round if cleared can take a candidate to the next level which is about the practical teaching.
Teaching Test/ Audition
In this round the candidate is asked to go to a real life setting and teach students in the class. The candidate here is judged by a senior teacher who is expert in the domain knowledge. This round gives a clear idea about how a candidate may perform in classroom and basis this 90% of selection decision is taken.
A few top private schools in the country prefer to take psychometric test before hiring a teacher. This gives school an idea about the capabilities that they look for in a competent teacher. Most schools prefer the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality test that unveils the following:
- Uncover team strengths
- Enhance team understanding of each other
- Understand level of appreciation of own and others contribution
- Understand level of a candidate’s performance in teams
- Understand problem solving ideology of the candidate
- Uncover candidate’s weaknesses and potential blind spots in team work
This again is the HR negotiation but with senior HR of the school, here a candidate is asked about his or her salary expectation and a final offer is rolled.
In this whole process, the teacher interview questions are based on parameters to judge aptitude, knowledge, ability, mindset, tech savvy behavior and team work.
People Also Interested In :
- Hirevue interview questions for freshers
- Mainframe interview questions
- Top 30 PHP OOPS interview questions and answers
- Java Technical Architect interview questions
Related Job Descriptions :