What is a CV?
A CV or Curriculum Vitae is a document that emphasizes the professional and academic history of an individual. Usually, a curriculum vitae includes work experience, achievements, certificates, scholarships, awards and grants possessed by the individual. In addition, it may consist of publications and research projects completed by one. A CV is required while applying for jobs inside and outside India. A CV serves as a portfolio in showcasing the coursework and research of an individual.
Templates are available to offer suggestions on the design and structure of the CV. Some of the best cv template words offered can be used to win a job. These templates are functional and easy-to-follow, which helps one design a powerful cv. It also ensures to catch the eye of the recruiter.
What is a resume?
A resume is similar to a cv in a few aspects. Both a resume and a cv include the work history, education and skills and achievements of individuals. Resume templates examples can be utilised to organise information to make the resume influential. The resume plays the same role as a cv in informing the recruiter about an individual. It also displays the services offered by one.
However, in most countries, CVs and Resumes cannot be used interchangeably. A resume is a shorter form of a CV. It provides concise information about the individual’s previous work experience, skills possessed, achievements, and academic history. In some countries like India, South Africa and Australia, CV and resume can be used interchangeably.
How to write a CV?
The most important components of a CV are as follows:
- Name and Contact information
- Academic History of the individual
- Work or Professional Experience of the individual
- Skills and Certifications
- Awards and Recognitions
- Licenses and qualifications
- Professional associations
- Leadership Opportunities
- Grants and Fellowships
- Volunteer work
- Hobbies and Interests
- LinkedIn id
Some of the institutions provide their resume template. A person seeking a job is required to follow the same template and provide the necessary information. This improves understanding and helps the company receive information in the format that they prefer. Before one prepares a CV, one is required to look out for any cv or resume guidelines provided by the recruiter. For instance, some recruiters might prefer only relevant information about coursework, work experience and professional references to be mentioned.
Also Read: Best banking resume format and tips
Example of a free Microsoft word sample for CV
Some of the best cv template words use the following format. It ensures the proper organization of information. It also helps the recruiter scan through the information easily.
- Full name of the individual
- Address of the individual
- Phone number
- Email Address
456, Rani Colony, Bannerghatta Road, Bengaluru-56001
- Doctoral programme if completed
- Master’s Degree if completed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Diploma course if any
- 12th grade
- 10th grade
- PhD in English Literature, 2021, Durham University
- Master of Arts in English Literature, 2012, Delhi University
- Bachelors of Arts – Honours in English, 2010, Manipal University
- 12th grade – 92% – St. Mary’s High School
- 10th grade – 90% – St. Mary’s High School
Work or Professional Experience
- Organisation or Institution
- Job position and title
- Period of working
- Details of the work and experience
University of Hyderabad,
Assistant Professor, Department of English
- Taught undergraduate courses in British and American drama
- Fostered an interactive learning environment
- Acted as a mentor for first-year English Literature students
Skills and Certifications
- Hard skills
- Soft skills
- Certifications and accreditations
Certified in Copywriting
Fluent in English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil and Spanish
Awards and Recognitions
- Name of the award or recognition
- Year awarded
- The organisation that provided the recognition
- Details of the award
The Times of India Award for Writing, 2015
The Times of India
Awarded for proficiency in writing to three individuals every year
- Citation of Publication – authors, date, summary, volume, page and DOI number
Tina. C. Singh. A., (2020) “Study on Women Authors in Victorian Era”. Journal on the various works and writings of female authors and poets in the Victorian age. 567: 4563-56779.
- Name of the organisation affiliated with
- Location or chapter
- Dates of active membership
Jaipur Literary Society, Jaipur
A well-structured resume is shortened to one page. However, one must not leave out crucial information for saving space. Information in CVs usually requires multiple pages. The CV must be thoroughly reviewed before submission. Any errors must be corrected. One is advised to ask for the suggestions of a mentor or colleague on the improvement of the CV. An individual can also take help from a person experienced in the field that they’re applying to. This helps the CV in being well-polished.
Also Read: Content Writer Resume Samples for freshers
Example of best cv template word:
How to Write a Resume?
A good resume is required for one to win their dream job. When one’s resume is attractive, they get replies from most companies that they’ve applied to. On the contrary, when a resume is weak, an individual does not receive any replies from recruiters.
Some of the important components of a resume are as follows:
- One is required to choose the right format and layout of the resume.
- The contact and personal information of the individual must be included.
- A summary of the resume or objectives must be mentioned
- Summary of Work Experience and Achievement must be mentioned.
- Mention Skills possessed – Hard Skills and Soft Skills.
- Additional sections can be included mentioning hobbies, interests and languages.
- The resume must be tailored for each job. The resume must fit the needs as per the job description.
- An appealing cover letter must be designed.
- The cover letter and resume must be proofread before sending.
An individual is required to decide the design of the resume. Rather than creating one’s layout, some of the best cv template word can be utilised. Without a template, one is required to spend hours formatting the email.
Instead of creating one’s template, they can use the Microsoft word samples available. This enables faster and easier building of a resume. It looks alluring and can fit in all the necessary information on one page.
Also Read: Chronological resume examples
Choosing the right resume format
The two types of resume formats that can be used are: Reverse Chronological, Functional or Skill-based. Another format that can be used is a combination of the above-mentioned two formats. The resume format is decided based on the job that is being applied to and the experience and skills of the individual.
- Reverse Chronological Resume Format: This resume format is the most commonly used. It is used by individuals who possess plenty of work experience that is relevant to the job being applied to.
- Functional Resume Format or Skills-based Resume Format: This format is used when the individual does not have sufficient work experience. It is generally used by recent graduates or individuals looking to make a career change.
- Combination Resume Format: This format is ideal for individuals who have various skill sets. It is useful in applying to roles where one is required expertise in different fields.
Most individuals stick to the Reverse Chronological Format as Hiring Managers find this format easy-to-use. In the case of a recent graduate, a functional resume is ideal. When an individual possesses diverse skills and plenty of work experience, the combination resume format can be used.
Choosing the right resume layout
The layout of the resume is the eye-catcher. The layout of the resume is one of the first elements in a resume that the recruiter notices. It matters whether the resume is organized or cluttered, long or short, boring or attractive. Some of the guidelines to be followed in most of the best cv template word are:
- A resume is generally one page in length. An individual is allowed to go up to 2 pages only if additional significant information is required to be included. Hiring Managers expect resumes to be crisp.
- Every resume required clear sections with headings. One is required to choose a heading font and size and use the same for all the section headings.
- A good amount of white or free space is required to be left, especially around the margins of the resume.
- An individual must choose a font that is easy to read and appealing. One is advised to use fonts that stand out, yet are not too fancy. For instance, fonts such as Roboto and Cambria can be used. Fonts such as Comic Sans are to be avoided.
- Picking the right font size is another essential part of the resume. Generally, text size 11 or 12 is used for normal text, whereas, text sizes14-16 are used for section headings.
- The resume can be saved as a pdf or as a word document.
- Another factor to be considered in the resume layout is whether the individual wants to go for a traditional layout or a modern layout. People seeking jobs in traditional industries such as the legal sector, banking sector, finance sector, etc. use the traditional layouts. Tech companies and other modern industries look for modern and innovative resumes.
Also Read: Resume objective samples for engineers
Content in the Resume – What to mention and what not to mention?
The most common information included in a resume are as follows:
- Contact information
- The objective of career or job/ Summary
- Professional and work experience
- Education history
- Skill Sets
- Sections like hobbies, interests, languages, publications
Here is an in-detail explanation of the contents of a resume.
1. Contact Information:
The contact information is the most essential part of the resume. This section of the resume helps the recruiter get in touch with the individual. This part of the resume is to be double-checked and it must be ensured that all information is up-to-date and accurate.
Information to be mentioned in this section is:
Other information that can be included here are:
LinkedIn URL: If an individual has a LinkedIn profile that could add value to the resume, the link can be mentioned in the contact section.
Social Media/Website: If one has their publications online, they could provide their website or social media details. When an individual considers their online presence influential in their job position or field, it is worth mentioning in their resume.
Information not to be included under Contact information:
- Date of Birth: The date of birth of an individual is not considered by recruiters. Hence, it need not be mentioned unless asked by the recruiter. Mentioning the age does not affect the decision-making of the hiring managers.
- Unprofessional Email Address: One is required to provide a professional email address, generally, with the first and last name of the individual.
- Headshot: A headshot or photograph of the individual is not required as the hiring manager does not consider the looks of a person in the decision-making process.
2. The objective of Career or Job/ Summary:
The summary or objective section is the first part of the resume that the hiring manager reads. Hence, this acts as a first impression. A first impression is difficult to change. Therefore, the summary of the resume is required to be well-structured.
This enables the recruiter to scan through the resume. A hiring manager spends a few minutes on each resume. Even a carefully built resume holds the HR manager’s attention only for a few minutes. So, a first impression must be created.
The path to capture the attention of the hiring manager is achieved by building a good resume summary. This summary is placed at the top of the resume, below or near the contact information.
Things to know about the resume summary:
- A resume summary consists of 2-3 sentences. It is a summary of the individual’s career.
- If the individual is a recent graduate, a career objective is used.
- A summary includes the job position and the years of experience of the individual.
- Top achievements in prior work roles can be mentioned. 1 or 2 important achievements are usually mentioned here.
- The desired goal is mentioned in this section. Usually, passion towards the field or job is mentioned.
Things to know about the resume objective:
- The objective section of the resume consists of the goal of the resume.
- It mentions the motive of getting into the field and the job.
- It is commonly used in resumes of recent graduates who either have little or no prior work experience.
- The objective of the resume consists of 2-3 sentences.
- A formula has to be followed while creating a resume objective:
- [Skill/ Education/ Achievement/ Certification relevant to the job applying to]
- Seeking to utilise my [years/ months of experience relevant to the job description] at [company applying to]
- To add on to the [type of work and responsibilities that can be taken on]
Here is an example of how a resume objective can be built by a recent graduate:
Also Read: Car Driver Resume Samples
“Diligent and persevering recent graduate with B.A. in English Honours from Manipal University seeking new possibilities in the job market. 2 years of experience in copywriting and content writing with experience in SEO and SaaS writing. Looking to develop as a copywriter with ABC Company.”
Here is an example of how a resume objective can be built by an individual looking for a career change:
“Freelance writer with 5 years of experience in copywriting and content writing. Ability to provide error-free and well-researched content. Looking to put my skills to use as an outsourced writer at ABC company”
3. Professional and Work Experience:
Prior work experience is the most important part of the resume. This section of the resume is where an individual displays their past accomplishments and responsibilities. Work experience can help the individual win the job hassle-free. Hence, this section holds 80% of the total weightage of the resume. Several writing structures can be utilised to make a resume based on the best cv template word.
Here is how the work experience is to be mentioned in the resume:
- Job Title or Position – The job title of the individual is to be mentioned at the top of each work experience. This enables the hiring manager to ascertain the details while scanning through the resume. It also lets them know of relevant work experience.
- Company Name and Description – below the job title, the name of the institution where the position was held must be mentioned. The location of the office worked at or remote job must be mentioned. Sometimes, one might choose to describe the company in a few words when the company is not well-known.
- Achievements and Responsibilities that the candidate took on – This section is the most significant of this section. One can decide if they want to list their responsibilities on job, achievements earned or both.
- Date or Period of Work – This section involves the timeframe of work or experience at the company. The dates are not required to be accurate but have to remain close. The format of date expected by most recruiters is mm/yyyy. This fate format must be followed especially if the recruiters use an Application Tracking System.
Guidelines to be followed while listing job experience are:
- The work experience must be listed in reverse-chronological order. The most recent job must be listed first and move back all the way.
- One is advised to list their achievements on the job along with the responsibilities.
- In most cases, the hiring managers are aware of the responsibilities taken over in common job positions.
- 90% of the candidates end up listing the same responsibilities.
- To stand out, a candidate must focus on the mentioning of achievements on their resume. For example, in a sales manager’s resume, the phrase “Exceeded sales by 30% for 3 months straight” can be used instead of “generated sales”.
- However, in certain job fields, it is not possible to mention achievements. In such cases, mentioning of responsibilities is sufficient.
- A resume must be tailored to the job position applying to. In companies that use the Application Tracking System, one must know the right elements to be added in the resume that can help get past the Tracking System.
- The candidate must tailor their resume by adding the right keywords from the job description in their resume.
- The most critical skills required by the company must be mentioned as an achievement or a skill-set in the resume of the candidate.
- If an individual has a decade’s experience in a relevant field, it is not worth mentioning every single one.
- Recent graduates with no experience might decide to keep the work experience section empty while focusing on the other sections. Work experience in student organisations and non-profits can be included here.
- For entry-level candidates, all work experience can be listed.
- For mid-level candidates, work experience relevant to the job position applying to must be mentioned.
- For senior professionals, a maximum of 15 years of experience can be listed. The most recent work experience plays an important role here.
4. Education History:
In this section, a format on how the education history must be mentioned is followed. Here’s how one can make their academic background appealing:
- Program Name
Example: Bachelor of Arts in English Honours
- University Name
Example: Manipal University
- Years Attended
- Academic Achievements if any
Guidelines on crafting the education history section:
- If a candidate does not have any work experience, the education history section must be mentioned first.
- The education history must also be mentioned in reverse chronological order.
- If the candidate has a university degree, high school is not required to be mentioned.
- GPA can be mentioned only if the candidate has a stunning academic background.
Another crucial section to be added to a resume is the skill sets. Here the candidate can mention all the knowledge they possess relevant to the job applying to.
Generally, there are two types of skill sets:
These skills are known as measurable skills. These skills include all types of skills like coding or cooking.
These skills are known as personal skills. They include social skills, communication skills, leadership abilities, personality traits, critical thinking and management.
Also Read: Assistant Professor Resume Format
Here are a few guidelines on how skills must be mentioned in the resume:
- All hard skills are usually listed with the level of experience and proficiency level. The level of experience can be divided into beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert.
Beginners have little experience in classrooms and are used for entry-level jobs.
Intermediates have used the skill in work experience and understand the skill set well.
Advanced personnel can guide others on the skill and have a higher understanding.
Experts have applied the skills in different projects and organisations. They can coach other people and are consulted by others in the field.
- One must never lie about their skills in the resume.
- The skills must be tailored to the job position applying to.
- Usually, 2-3 relevant skills are mentioned.
- Some universal skills are required to be mentioned which are useful in any job. These include soft skills like leadership, communication, teamwork and hard skills such as excel, writing and PowerPoint. These skills come in handy in any field. Hence, they are worth mentioning even when not relevant to the job position.
Other Sections to be included:
The sections mentioned above are the mandatory and essential parts of the resume. Sections that can be sued to boost the resume are:
If a person is bi-lingual or multi-lingual, it can be mentioned in the resume. Languages are an interesting skill set to possess. The language known can be listed and assigned to levels such as native, fluent, proficient, intermediate and basic.
Hobbies and Interests:
This section helps the hiring manager in ascertaining the candidate as a person. When one has extra space on their resume, they can display their interests.
If the candidate has used their free time in helping others, their experience must be mentioned. This helps the recruiter understand that they seek the job for more than just money-motiveness. It also gives an impression of a devoted employee. Listing of volunteer experiences gives a boost to the resume. This also plays an important role if one is a student or a recent graduate with no work experience.
If one has a certification relevant to the job field, it can be added to the resume.
If a candidate has any work published one or in an academic journal, the URL can be mentioned so that the hiring manager can check the candidate’s work.
If one has worked on any side projects in the field, they must not hesitate in mentioning their work. It showcases their passion for the job. This can include a freelancing experience or university projects. Recruiters seek to employ candidates with more potential.
Example of a resume:
How to write a cover letter?
The resume is the first step in the job application. A cover letter is usually enclosed with the resume to land a job that the individual deserves. Most applications consist of two parts – the resume and the cover letter. Although writing a cover letter sounds intimidating, the process is simple, provided the individual understands its purpose.
The cover letter is a message to the hiring manager of the company. The candidate is required to explain why they might be fit for the job position.
The format to be followed while writing a cover letter is:
As an introduction, the candidate must enlighten the hiring manager about prior work experience and explain why they are interested in working with the recruiting company. Here, a few professional achievements can also be mentioned. This ensures leaving a good first impression.
How would the candidate contribute to the company?
Under this, the candidate is required to pick out a few requirements from the job description. Then the candidate can explain how they would help in fulfilling each of these requirements. For Example, if the job description mentioned “SEO”, the candidate can mention how they have written articles catering to SEO.
- The last part of the cover letter must be a paragraph thanking the hiring manager. The candidate is required to thank the recruiter for reading their cover letter and let them know about further steps. For instance, “If my projects impress you, contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org”
Here is a sample Cover Letter to fit in perfectly with the best cv template word
Resume Templates that can be utilised to win jobs
Websites and Microsoft Word offer ready-to-use templates. This free Microsoft word sample provides one with a format and layout. The candidate is required to fill in this format with their details. The candidate only has to structure proper and compelling sentences and include only relevant and necessary information.
Some of the best cv template word formats offered are:
Basic template: This template has a basic format that can be personalized by a person with a decade’s work experience or a person who is a recent graduate. This template is easy to use and only takes ten minutes to complete building the resume.
This template is used by candidates who are looking for a contemporary approach to their resumes. This template also has an eye-catching design. With this template, the candidate’s resume is sure to attract the recruiter.
College Template :
This template is an updated and contemporary version. It fits the needs of modern day recruiters. This template is used as an alternative to the old styles.
This template is one of the most creative layouts. It is used to land jobs in the creative industries. In the relevant field, this resume makes one’s application stand out.
This template works for all industries. It not only focuses on the work experience of the candidate but also on the strengths and skills. It can be used by candidates with plenty of work experience and also no work experience.
- Modern Templates:
Generally, normal templates make it difficult for resumes to stand out in the crowd of job applications. This modern template has a unique design that ensures attracting the hiring manager. It acts as an eye-catcher.
- Professional Template:
This template has been widely approved by recruiters all over the country. It has helped several candidates land their dream job. It is one of the most versatile resumes which give importance to work experience, while also including skills, honours and awards and volunteering. It also includes languages.
- Simple Template:
This template is useful to apply for jobs in conservative industries where much creativity on the resume is not necessary. This template is minimalistic yet holds all the relevant information. It is an upgrade from the traditional resumes but also has a simple layout. This format is also easily understandable.
Benefits of using Microsoft word resume templates
- The candidate can save hours of work in designing their resume. They can get free resume templates. The candidate only has to pick the right template and fill it in effortlessly.
- These resumes reduce the chances of errors on the resume.
- It removes the chances of including irrelevant or unnecessary information on the resume.
- The candidate can also introduce changes in the resume within minutes.
- The variety of templates available gives the candidate a wide choice.
- Weak resume acts as a setback in the job application process. With templates, the candidate can create job-winning resumes.
- Usage of these templates not only make it attractive but also readable by the recruiter.
- These templates are recommended to be used when the recruiter uses an Application Scanning System.
- Recruiters skim through resumes only for 7 seconds. Hence, the information must be organised in an easy-to-read structure. If the information that the hiring manager is looking for is not easily readable, the resume will be rejected.
- The templates use various colour combinations which make the resume look stylish. These colourful resumes are highly recommended for candidates applying to creative industries.
- Microsoft Word also provides resumes according to the job title of the candidates.
To utilise the best cv template word, one is required to follow these steps:
- The candidate must open Microsoft Word.
- They are required to click on the “File” button.
- On the menu that appears, one must click on “New”.
- In the search box on the top of the screen, the candidate must type ‘resume’.
- A variety of resume templates available to use are displayed.
- The candidate can choose from any of these. They are required to click on the resume template they want to use.
- Then, they must click Create and edit and use the template on Microsoft Word.
Guidelines while choosing the template
How to use resume templates on Microsoft Word?
- The most important elements in a resume are simplicity and clarity.
- The classic resume templates are functional in technical professions. It is also used by candidates applying to financial and insurance sectors.
- Modern templates are used by those candidates who want to stay up-to-date with trends. Modern templates are usually used by IT professionals. It is also used by managers, traders and analysts.
- Creative templates are effective in applying to creative positions such as advertising, graphic designers, copywriters, photographers and marketing specialists.
- A template that is suitable for the sector must be used.
- The candidate is advised to use a template that does not include a headshot or photograph of the candidate.
- The candidate must choose a template that fits all their information on one page. Most hiring managers do not read the second page of a resume.
- One must choose a template that includes only relevant information that is appropriate to the job and field applying to.
- One is advised to use a template that has space between sections which makes the text look organised and legible.
- Creating large blocks of text must be avoided.
- The content of the resume is as important as the format and layout of the resume.
Before sending your resume to your employer, please save your document in PDF format (you can do this in Microsoft Word or use the free online resume wizard). The PDF format ensures that the recipient receives the document exactly as it was saved. To find a job, prepare a resume that stands out from other documents. Remember, a good resume format is not everything, the most important thing is the content of the resume. The content, not the cover, determines whether a book is good, while a good cover can make you want to buy that book at a bookstore.
FAQs on Resume Templates Examples
Q.1 Can one save their resume as a PDF?
Ans. Yes, once the template has been downloaded and edited, the candidate can save the resume as a word document or a pdf. It is advisable to save the resume in a pdf format as this ensures that the recruiter receives the resume in the same format that the candidate sends it in.
Q.2 Can hobbies and interests be included in the resume?
Ans. Yes, hobbies and interests can be included in the resume provided there is enough space. This information can be included if the candidate is applying to a creative role. This helps the hiring manager know the person. But this information is unnecessary if the resume is a part of an IT or engineering job application.
Q.3 Where must the contact details be included?
Ans. The contact details of the candidate are ideally mentioned under the name of the candidate on the resume. It is usually on the top or the top-right corner of the resume.
Q.4 What information must be included in the resume if the candidate has no experience?
Ans. When the candidate has no experience, the education history must be mentioned first. Emphasis is laid on the skills and academic achievements or leadership opportunities here. The candidate can mention any volunteer experience in such resumes. Volunteer experience is influential in resumes. It shows that the candidate is passionate and increases their credibility. Hence, volunteer experience and skills are important in the resumes of candidates who have no work experience.
Q.5 What is the importance of a CV?
Ans.The CV of a candidate decides if the candidate is invited to further interviews and job processes. A CV defines the candidate.