What is an Operations Manager?
An operations manager job requires one to play a key role when it comes to the management team. They are responsible for overseeing high-level HR duties, including attracting talent, hiring procedures, and setting training standards. The role of operations manager also extends towards analyzing and improving various organizational processes. They are of great help when it comes to improving productivity, quality, and efficiency.
What does an Operations Manager do?
The main function of an operations manager, like mentioned above, is to administer high-level HR duties within a company. These duties involve attracting talent and improving efficiency, quality, and productivity of the whole organization. They, in short, aid in improving organizational processes and enable the smooth working of an organization.
Operations Manager job duties include:
- Management of stock, controlling it, and doing inventory checks
- Have a keen eye on budgets and any of the budgetary changes
- Intimate the changes or updates in an order process to the relevant parties
- Ensure health and safety regulations which have to be followed without a fail
- They have to document procedures that are of use for third-party monitoring
- Curate and monitor projects and teams
- Review workloads along with manpower to make sure targets are met on time and efficiently
- Bolstering the CEO as well as the executive team’s vision. They also have to process ideals
- Ensure that the staff working on the various processes are happy and efficiently operating
- Help with and support all functions of the organization or business to work together in sync
Job brief for Operations Manager
Most companies are seeking to hire one for an operations manager job only if they can lead. By joining a leadership position for an esteemed organization, one has to be in charge of various things that majorly includes providing inspired leadership for the basic operation of the product, line, etc., they are hired for. A few of the responsibilities of operations managers involve them making important distinctive policies along with strategic decisions. They also need to be present for the development part as well as the implementation part of the operational procedures and policies.
The job of operations manager also extends to assisting the Human Resources department. They play their part in the recruiting process whenever it is necessary. Their key role also includes helping promote a company culture that can help the various employees of an organization by boosting their morale and performance.
To get the operations manager job, one must have a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Operations Management. They may also go for a Bachelor’s degree in a similar field.
Various companies are hiring operations managers with prior experience in a position of management or leadership. They are also required to have a deep understanding of financial management, which may incline the ones hiring in their favour.
Responsibilities of Operations Manager
The operations manager job comes with the following responsibilities:
- To offer some inspired leadership to the employees for the organization.
- Curate various significant policies, as well as plan and strategize decisions.
- Work on or develop, find the right ways to implement, and review different operational policies and procedures within the organization.
- Come to the aid of HR when it comes to recruitment processes, whenever necessary.
- They have to help in promoting company culture, which ultimately encourages top performance and boosts high morale.
- Administer budgeting, planning, auditing, and reporting.
- Work with senior stakeholders.
- They need to ensure all legal and regulatory documents have been filed properly. They also have to monitor adherence to the laws and regulations of the organization.
- They work closely with the board of directors in order to determine the mission and values. This helps them plan for several short as well as long-term goals.
- It comes under an operations manager’s job to identify and address problems and opportunities that may be beneficial for the company.
- Building numerous partnerships and alliances with other organizations.
- They have to support communication and bridge the gap between workers and the management team.
Requirements for Operations Manager
Operations Manager Job requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in the field of operations management or any related field.
- Relevant experience in operations, management, and leadership.
- Should have a basic understanding of general finance and budgeting, which includes a balance sheet, profit and loss, and cash-flow management.
- Should have the ability to build consensus. They should also be able to build relationships among partners, managers, and employees.
- They must have excellent communication skills.
- Should have a solid financial management understanding.
Average Salary for Operations Manager
|City||Minimum Salary||Maximum Salary||Average Annual Salary|
|Mumbai||₹ 5.2 LPA||₹ 26 LPA||₹ 12.0 LPA|
|New Delhi||₹ 5 LPA||₹ 22 LPA||₹ 11.3 LPA|
|Bangalore||₹ 5.6 LPA||₹ 35 LPA||₹ 15.3 LPA|
|Pune||₹ 5.9 LPA||₹ 26.7 LPA||₹ 15 LPA|
|Chandigarh||₹ 3.6 LPA||₹ 23.8 LPA||₹ 10.3 LPA|
These are the average salaries in place in only a few cities. One may find a few variations in them based on the prices and cost of living in numerous other respective cities.
Key Skills for an Operations Manager job
The operations manager job skills which are required to land the job are as follows:
- Thorough understanding of planning, various policies and strategies
- Should be able to develop, implement different policies and procedures from time to time and review them
- Leadership qualities are a must for one to go for an operations manager job
- Potential to administer budgeting, planning, reporting, and auditing
- Understand the necessary legal as well as regulatory documents
- Must have the ability to address problems that may occur and opportunities that may present themselves for the company
- Potential to build partnerships and alliances with other organizations
Why pursue a career as an Operations Manager?
An operations manager job calls for one holding a vital position which is a key part for any business or organization. The position is one that is of a coveted leadership role that makes for business and finance professionals. This is because it includes a very important responsibility which makes sure that the efficient production of goods takes place along with services. They get to solve a number of problems on a daily basis. The operations manager does this while interacting with various people who are from all across the world, whether within the organization or outside of it.
How to become an Operations Manager?
When it comes to getting an operations manager job, one has to check some boxes. These are some of the requirements for an operations manager job that one must adhere to:
- You can go for a Bachelor’s degree in operations management or any of the related fields.
- They should have some relevant experience in the field of operations, management, and leadership.
- They are required to have some basic understanding of general finance and budgeting. This includes balance sheet, profit and loss, along with cash-flow management.
- Excellent communication skills are a must for one looking for a job as operations manager.
- One must have a solid financial management understanding which can help them do their job efficiently.