What is an office manager?
An office manager is someone who has to work with a lot of different people on different levels – from the mail person mailing packages to those who handcraft a company’s marketing materials. They must also maintain good relations with clients, especially if they hate change and will thus be irate if one of their long-running office traditions suddenly changes without sufficient explanation. Office managers are very vital in an office setting.
They act as the administrative brains behind any given organisation that needs to run smoothly and efficiently. An office manager job must have individuals with exceptional people skills so they can interact productively with employees at all levels, including clients and vendors as well. Office manager skills may also include responsibility for scheduling meetings, updating the company page on social media, paying bills, among other things. It is a very demanding job, but the payoff is always worth it!
What does an Office Manager do?
The office manager job essentially includes being the brains of the operation. Because they experience every aspect of what happens, they are typically an invaluable resource to your company and can save you a lot of time and money by making sure that nothing is overlooked. They must be able to organise one’s resources effectively and efficiently so as not only to help their own team flourish but also to achieve goals for the business as a whole. Working with their teams, office managers may have something for everyone on any given day – which means it’s important for them to inspire their employees and peers to work together well in order to meet both short-term and long-term objectives.
Office Manager Job Duties Include:
- Organisational procedure and systems development for office staff or personnel, including scheduling, filing, accounts payable, payroll, and billing.
- Having to continue education in management, organisation and team-building skills.
- Managing numerous employee schedules.
- Having to also take care of order supplies as well as equipment as per their requirement.
- Troubleshooting any scheduling conflicts as and when they arise.
- Establishing a team atmosphere through proper leadership and employee development in place.
- Improving employee work through active communication
- Solving various problems with continuous efforts to better the staff as well as the organisation
- Preparing various reports, presentations, etc
- Dealing with various complaints and grievances of the clients as well as the staff
- Scheduling meetings with the management, staff, clients, etc.
Job brief for Office Manager
A company looking for a qualified person to fill up the spot for an Office Manager job always prefers one who understands the role. They must be one who has previous administrative experience, with proven proficiency with Microsoft Office applications. You will need to use office applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on a daily basis.
An applicant needs to have at least a year of experience managing office operations and staffing. The candidate for the role of office manager needs strong communication skills. One should also have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree in a relevant field.
Responsibilities for Office Manager Job
- The Office Manager role is to support all administrative duties in the office and ensure that the office is working smoothly.
- They are responsible for managing office supplies inventory and placing orders as necessary.
- Office Managers are required to perform receptionist duties, hail callers, and answer and direct phone calls.
- Office Managers assist with office layout planning and office moves, and they also have to manage and maintain IT infrastructure.
- Also, they have to manage the office budget.
- They have to develop office policies and procedures, and they have to ensure whether they are implemented appropriately.
- Work with group meet-ups, calendars, research and other administrative tasks as necessary.
- Office Directors have to Identify openings for process and office operation advancements and design and apply new systems.
Requirements for Office Manager Job
- Office Manager must have experience as an Office Manager, Front Office Manager, etc.
- They must have proper knowledge of Office Administrator responsibilities, systems and procedures.
- Office Managers should have good experience with office machines.
- They Should be familiar with email scheduling tools, like Email Scheduler.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Office Managers should have good verbal communication skills.
- One must have excellent time management skills and the ability to multitask and prioritise one work over the other.
- They must have strong organisational skills as well as planning skills.
- Office Managers have a creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
- They must have a High School degree and additional qualification as an Administrative assistant.
Average Salary for Office Manager Job(City Based Tables)
|City||Minimum Salary (per annum)||Maximum Salary (per annum)||Average Annual Salary (per annum)|
|Mumbai||₹ 1.9 L||₹ 14.3 L||₹ 5 L|
|New Delhi||₹ 2 L||₹ 10.9 L||₹ 4.2 L|
|Bangalore||₹ 2.1 L||₹ 18 L||₹ 6 L|
|Pune||₹ 2.4 L||₹ 15.6 L||₹ 6.4 L|
|Chandigarh||₹ 1.5 L||₹ 10.5 L||₹ 2 L|
It must not come as a shock that having an office manager job in different cities leads to different pay scale depending upon the city.
Key Skills for an Office Manager Job
- Trustability and discretion of things you frequently learn of nonpublic matters.
- Office Managers should have adaptability skills.
- They must have skills for communication, negotiation and relationship-building.
- Office Managers should have organisational skills.
- Office Managers must have IT skills.
- They should possess problem-solving skills.
- One must have Leadership skills and the ability to make things happen in an appropriate manner.
- Office Managers should have budgeting skills.
- They must be able to pay attention to detail when it comes to the various aspects of their work.
Why pursue a career as an Office Manager?
Beyond borders, an office manager job and the individual in the role are an essential part of all businesses. Around the world, the role of an office manager is important in helping to ensure that businesses operate efficiently and productively. The skills are very transferable and will appeal to a great many employers regardless of sector or location.
One can easily find a job requirement for an office manager and may also find a high-paying role in certain industries. The pay also differs as per the cities.
How to become an Office Manager?
To work as an Office Manager, one must first have practical experience in an administrative role and a comprehensive knowledge of software packages commonly used in the industry. Office Managers with professional qualifications in business studies, information technology management or human resources are well regarded by employers for their understanding of the nature of many office operations.
A certificate or associate’s degree is required in most jobs, although some prefer a bachelor’s degree. Many office managers have previous clerical, secretarial or commercial work experience as this provides insight into the day-to-day routines practised by employees. Through a temporary agency, previous office-based clerical staff can gain invaluable experience that may eventually lead to permanent office work for those who continue to show strong potential and dedication to excel at their tasks.
You can also follow in similar footsteps, get started in an office manager job with a good company, and climb the ladder with your dedicated work ethic and skills.