About the role
The role of Economist/Insurance Market Analysis (based in Bangalore), in Group Economic & Sigma Research is a fantastic opportunity for you to work on hands-on projects, and also support the thematic research, especially on L&H insurance sector, with a tangible business impact. Together with a high-caliber and motivated international team, you will actively contribute to the formulation of our global insurance market analysis and forecasts for the Group and support our L&H insurance business unit strategy and client outreach.
The role is a unique, broad and exciting professional growth opportunity and an excellent steppingstone within the company with frequent exposure to senior management and other teams across the Group.
As such, you will shape key strategic projects around L&H insurance and drive Swiss Re's thought leadership, particularly around the topic of macroeconomics, and its impact on L&H insurance. You should expect a dynamic working environment and should be able to demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and autonomy in your daily work.
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Analyse insurance market trends and thematic topics (especially on L&H sector) and provide related analysis and forecasts in a proactive manner.
- Contribute to Swiss Re's thought-leadership topics and client outreach by writing a study on a major market or industry segment in publication (e.g. Swiss Re's sigma, Expertise Publications,Economic Insights, etc),
- Prepare high-quality and visually appealing presentations, and presenting findings to internal and external stakeholders (e.g. presenting a market outlook to clients, preparing briefing materials for senior executives, presenting research results at an industry conference, etc.)
- Manage research projects to completion with minimal supervision/guidance and have good interpersonal skills.
- Most activities involve collaboration across teams. Expected to generate a workflow of projects from Swiss Re's business units.
- The projects may be related to quantifying and modelling the impact of economic risks (e.g. inflation, interest rate, health care reform) on L&H market. Strong data affinity and statistical analysis skills are essential, hands-on experience with a statistical software package and/or a programming language is an advantage.
- Working in a cross functional team in Bangalore reporting to GE&SR Bangalore Hub with a functional reporting line to the Head of Insurance Market Analysis
- Support the other various tasks (e.g. writing background notes, some administrative tasks, etc)
About the team
Group Economic & Sigma Research (GESR) is part of the Risk Management and is responsible for analysing and forecasting the global macroeconomic and insurance market environment. GESR holds a crucial role in steering Swiss Re's capital allocation for both sides of the balance sheet. The team also drives thought leadership on topics of strategic importance for the Group and helps shaping the policy dialogue and outcome. GESR is responsible for Swiss Re's flagship sigma publication series.
GESR is highly visible and interacts with a wide variety of key partners and decision makers across the organization and externally. We are a truly global team located in Zurich, New York, Hong Kong and Beijing and collaborate closely with all of Swiss Re's re/insurance business units and Group functions.
Swiss Re embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We further collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing all of our employees with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where we work most effectively.
- An advanced degree in economics, finance and/or a related fields with at least 5 years of analytical work experience, with experience related to the L&H re/insurance industry, being a strong plus, though not required (if working experience less than 5 years, position of junior economist would be considered).
- Experience in macroeconomic, insurance analysis and forecasting, including but not limited to topics like, impact of different accounting and solvency regimes, impact of climate change on insurance, behavioural economics, financial/company analysis, applied econometrics, secondary and primary data (survey) based research, and so on.
- Independent and able to operate with minimal level of guidance, while collaborating with stakeholders across the organization, especially from different global locations.
- Team player, comfortable working with colleagues across all different levels, experience in training and mentoring new team members is also preferred
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically and steer & deliver high quality deliverables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English other languages a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) is required
- Econometric and programming skills in one of the major statistical softwares/programming languages (R, Stata, Matlab, Python, EViews) is an advantage
- Internationally focused and highly motivated with a can-do attitude dedication to continuous learning and willingness to challenge and improve the status quo
- Very agile, open-minded and curious personality with ability to work under tight timelines
- Mature and proactive showing a high degree of own initiative
- Ability and enthusiasm to work in a global and multicultural environment