About the role
The role of Data Associate (based in Bangalore), in Group Economic & Sigma Research is an excellent opportunity for you to work on data-related projects and also support thematic research, with a tangible business impact. This role sits within a high-calibre and motivated international team that focuses on economic and insurance research and forecasts for Swiss Re. The role is a unique, broad and exciting professional growth opportunity and an excellent steppingstone within the company with frequent exposure to senior management and other teams across the Group.
In this role, you will be one of the business owners and manage the GESR data infrastructure. This includes co-leading/supporting the project to upgrade the in-house database for storing economic and insurance market forecasts, as well as overseeing data collection, storing and distribution either directly or through connected data assets of other teams within GESR. As such, teamwork and project management skills will be important in order to closely liaise with stakeholders for smooth functioning of all data assets. You should expect a dynamic working environment and should be able to demonstrate flexibility, adaptability and autonomy in your daily work.
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- You will be one of the key points of contact for all data related queries in GESR.
- You are expected to quickly understand the GESR data infrastructure landscape, including the in-house database. You should also pro-actively look for opportunities to improve the data infrastructure including better ways of collecting, storing and distributing data.
- For the in-house database, you'll be required to do support the day-to-day management of it, as well as co-lead the project to upgrade it from current Fame-based database to a new, better, lean, efficient and user-friendly database option.
- As part of the above point, you will need to communicate business needs to IT, provide inputs and guidance to IT where required and supervise and monitor the implementation of the solution by IT. You will also need to closely liaise and collaborate with other stakeholders (e.g. data providers, users in other teams) for smooth functioning of all data assets.
- Continuously monitor the broader data infrastructure and fix any possible issues in advance, to ensure that users are not impacted.
- Oversee data collection, storing and distribution either directly or through connected data assets of other teams.
- Assist economic and insurance research colleagues in their data projects by collecting curating and analysing large data sets - these projects may be related to quantifying and modelling the impact of economic risks, climate change, energy prices, health care reform, mortality, etc. on economy, insurance and reinsurance industry.
- Contribute to Swiss Re's research publications (e.g. sigma, expertise publications, economic insights, etc) or ad-hoc projects and research activities, including (but not limited to) industry /segment analysis where Swiss Re has business interests. Key is to be able to breakdown, communicate and visualize often complex concepts in an easy and digestible way. Most activities involve collaboration across other teams in GE&SR.
- Manage and deliver all data projects and other tasks to completion with minimal supervision/guidance and have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- You will work in a cross functional team in Bangalore reporting to GE&SR Bangalore Hub with a functional reporting to GESR Economist Data Lead.
About the team
Group Economic & Sigma Research (GESR) is part of the Risk Management and is responsible for analysing and forecasting the global macroeconomic and insurance market environment. GESR holds a crucial role in steering Swiss Re's capital allocation for both sides of the balance sheet. The team also drives thought leadership on topics of strategic importance for the Group and helps shaping the policy dialogue and outcome. GESR is responsible for Swiss Re's flagship sigma publication series.
GESR is highly visible and interacts with a wide variety of key partners and decision makers across the organization and externally. We are a truly global team located in Zurich, New York, Hong Kong and Beijing and collaborate closely with all of Swiss Re's re/insurance business units and Group functions.
Swiss Re embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We further collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing all of our employees with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where we work most effectively.
- An advanced (minimum masters) degree in economics, finance, statistics or other quantitative discipline with at least 3 years of applicable work experience.
- Hands on experience of econometric analysis, financial analysis, quantitative modelling, economic research and/or business consulting. Insurance experience and industry certifications would be an added advantage.
- Intermediate to advanced econometric and programming skills such as R/Python/Stata/Matlab/EViews/VBA, is a must. R is preferred over the others
- IT skills will be an added advantage and intermediate knowledge of one or more of the major operating systems such as Unix/Linux OS, would be preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). Knowledge of advanced excel (VBA, excel macros) and databases (MS Access, SQL and 4GLs) preferred.
- Hands on experience on tools/databases like Bloomberg, AM Best, Datastream, CEIC, Factiva, Capital IQ, Power BI, Tableau, etc.
- Independent and able to operate with minimal level of guidance, while collaborating with stakeholders across the organization, especially from different global locations.
- Team player, comfortable working with colleagues across all different levels, experience in training and mentoring new team members is also preferred
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically and steer & deliver high quality deliverables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Internationally focused and highly motivated with a can-do attitude dedication to continuous learning and willingness to challenge and improve the status quo
- Very agile, open-minded and curious personality with ability to work under tight timelines
- Mature and proactive showing a high degree of own initiative
- Ability and enthusiasm to work in a global and multicultural environment